February 26, 2014

What 36 Looks Like

When I was a little girl dreaming about my future, I don't think I dreamed past the age of 21 or 23 years old.  I turned 36 today, but I feel more like 26.  I think I have fewer wrinkles now than I did when I turned 26!  I feel like my life really began when Joseph and I got married, and we've only been married for two and half years, hence the reverse aging process.
Most people my age are settled into a career, and raising their children, with an eye set toward goals of college funds and retirement.  Last year at this exact time, Joseph and I found ourselves in a different situation; we knew we needed to make serious career changes if we were going to get to those goals of college funds and retirement, and we needed to move to a place a we could succeed.  Staying in Utah would have meant staying because of familiar faces and places, not because it was the best place for us be.
I personally have truly been through a lot of tough stuff in the past 10 - 20 years; enough that I feel comfortable typing that.  A few years ago, I could feel myself beginning to feel completely worn out.  I remember telling Joseph when we were dating, that I was a tired soul.  While Joseph and I continue to make plans and changes for our new business, I've had the opportunity to take some much needed time for myself, (The best gift anyone has ever given me, thank you Joseph!).  I've taught myself several new creative skills from paper marbling, and eco printing, to knitting and crocheting.  I've had the opportunity to search my interests the way young 20 somethings should, but I didn't get to.
36 means starting over in more ways than just our career and family plans.  It's been so good for me, and I couldn't be more grateful!  This year I plan to keep working on my new interests with fiber arts, marbling paper, and eco printing.  I will continue to write my personal thoughts and experiences here on Millee Margaret and the fun stuff with Joseph about Eidolon House on The Joe and Jill Chronicles.  I don't dream about my future the way I once did as a little girl.  I've learned that life often has a different plan than what I could dream about, and I'm completely open to it, because I'm finding it's so much better than what I could dream up!   

via
 Happy Birthday to Me!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment