February 2, 2014

High/Low - A Sunday Ritual

High of the Week:
It finally rained today and it has been cold!  
It feels like Christmas to me!
I've been on a weird crochet high this week!  It's like I can't get enough!
I don't want to cook or clean, I just want to crochet!
I crocheted three rather large cowls in four days!
I think they may be infinity scarfs, rather than proper cowls actually.
My husband bought me pretty, soft, and chunky yarn last week and it was so much fun to use!
I think the secret to crochet is in the yarn!
I'm sure you master crocheters already know this, but I'm still learning.




Low of the Week:

I made THIS recipe this week and it was not good at all!
Cooking oatmeal overnight is only meant for old fashion oatmeal, not the Quaker quick cook kind and not even the Quaker branded "Old Fashion Oats", I mean real live old fashion oats.  
Also the recipe called for too much water and not enough cinnamon.  

Here is my revised recipe:  Slow Cooker Oatmeal Apple Cinnamon Breakfast. 
2 apples, diced
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt (good salt, not the iodine stuff.)
2 cups oatmeal
2 cups milk
1 cup water

Directions:
in a mixing bowl mix together diced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Make sure all apple pieces are coated well.  Put apple mixture in your slow cooker.  Next, pour oatmeal over the top of the apples, evenly, but don't stir.  Next pour water over oatmeal and then pour the milk over the oatmeal, evenly.  Put lid on slow cooker and let cook.

Cooking times and temperature: 
If you're using quick cook oatmeal, cook on med/high for about an hour.  Check to make sure the apples are soft before serving.  Just use a fork to test the apple.
If you're using real old fashioned oatmeal, cook the apples with oatmeal over night on low for about 6 to 8 hours. 

Drizzle with a bit of maple syrup and serve!


How was your week?
I hope your week to come is a good one!

XOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment